The Menicucci Family, life with 6!

Monday, November 10, 2008

A Bad Day

So today the twins and I decided to go out for an early lunch, at a nearby Burger King. They have a really good play place that is completely enclosed with a toddler area for the littler kids to climb on, plus I had a coupon for a free Whopper.... so we had to go! The twins had a great time playing and were not happy when it was time to leave. (I planned on doing some grocery shopping right afterwards and then needed to head back home for their afternoon nap, which has to be completed by 2:50pm so that we can be on the road to pick up Hannah from school.)

So, first of all, the day was a little odd because they both pooped while at Burger King. Lately, they only poop at home, and usually it's right before they go down for nap, but today they both decided to poop early....that wasn't so big of a deal, I had the diapers and wipes in the van, so after they played, I ended up changing them on the floor of the van. While changing them, I was all bent over in a sort of odd position, and I started contracting a bunch. Of course I had plenty to drink while at Burger King, and the contractions ALWAYS make me need to pee...but I was like, "oh, I'll be fine, I'll just finish up these stinky diaper changes, get those groceries, and then we can get home for nap, then I'll go to the bathroom."

And so we went on to Smith's for the groceries and I was so happy to be assisted by the nice bagger who offered to help me out with the cart full of groceries and two toddlers. I got them all buckled in, the groceries were loaded into the back of the van, and we were only minutes from home and a bathroom. At this point I was chanting, "I need to PEE, I need to PEE" to the tune of Mary Had a Little Lamb, no lie- all the way home. But we made it, I was quite proud to have gotten all of the groceries on my list and get through the store without any tantrums or serious whining.... and without wetting myself. We got home, I pulled into the garage, grabbed Ethan out of his carseat and put him and my purse and keys in the house (we go in through the laundry room), I quickly walked back out into the garage, got Amber out of her carseat and walked back towards the door to the laundry room when I heard a ....click...and could hear that Ethan was jiggling the door knob. I realized right away that Ethan reached up and turned the little lock on the door knob and locked me and Amber out of the house!!!
He was in the laundry room ALONE and there I was holding Amber in the garage outside the door! My keys were locked inside, along with my cell phone and purse, and there were no windows open and no way in to the house, (and I still had to PEE!) I hoped that Ethan might turn the lock back the other way, but he didn't.

That was an awful feeling. He was so mad that I wasn't coming back into the house, and he was crying "MAMA, MAMA!" over and over and over. I am so happy that I have a super paranoid babyproofing husband, I knew that there was nothing he could get into that would hurt him. Holding Amber, I ran across the street to my neighbor's house, borrowed her phone to call Brian, hoping he wasn't in some long business meeting or something; he didn't recognize the phone number so he didn't pick up the first couple of times we called. But, luckily, we were able to reach him. While I was over at the neighbor's I used their bathroom, then we came right back home. I just stood outside the door and talked to Ethan the whole time. He didn't wander throughout the house at all. Within 20 minutes of Brian getting our call, he was in the driveway with his set of keys.
Now we have extra keys strategically placed and will likely get a copy to our friendly neighbor too. Ugh...what an afternoon.

So, it turned out then that their nap was COMPLETELY off schedule, and we decided to let them nap and have poor Hannah stay after school at study hall. Brian picked her up on his way home from work, otherwise, the poor babies wouldn't have had more than 30 minutes to nap. It sort of worked out for Hannah though since she did have a lot of homework to do.

The twins are in bed now and it's 8:00pm and Hannah is throwing up- she has apparently caught some stomach bug like some friends of ours that we saw over the weekend. I am hoping and praying that the babies don't start puking tonight/tomorrow! Yuck, it could be another bad day.

4 comments:

amy said...

oh my gosh gina. that TOTALLY happened to me a few months ago!!! aislyn locked me out of the house when i went to the garage to get some cheese! i PANICKED. no key, NO one else has a key, no phone, no nothing. and NO one home. i was sprinting up and down the street knocking on doors. it had been about 13 minutes, when a friend saw me sprinting and drove up and let me use her phone. so who do i call? 9-1-1. yea. in the meantime i had taken a broom pole and TRIED TO BREAK a window. i'm so dumb. it so didn't work and both kids were standing right beside it. i could see them at least, but i had no idea what they were gonna do. aislyn couldn't figure out how to unlock the door until FINALLY about 20 minutes later, she did it on a whim and i flung the door open. i was crying, she was crying, i have never been so scared in my LIFE. so now we have a hidden key in the garage. :) VERY hidden. OH, and the cops showed up FOUR hours later. thanks guys. oh kids. that was the worst feeling i've ever had... anyways, that was long. glad it all worked out!!!

Anonymous said...

that is a great bad day!!!! Hope u all feel good soon so I can drop in unexpectedly!!! Love sally

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry...but once again you show what a great mom you are especially under the most stressful situations! I love that you sang I have to pee to the tune of Mary had a little lamb! You are too cool!

Love,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Hey, Gina & Brian!

What a great website! We finally looked at it, so now we know everything. We had a great time at dinner the other night at your place, and we look forward to hanging out with you all again!

-Kristi and Todd